Just because they’re bad doesn’t mean we can’t love ’em.
Let’s make one thing clear: rap, as a genre, is nothing to scoff at (if you want proof, check out Q-Tip’s mini history lesson on Twitter). I could go on for longer than necessary about the unbelievable performers and lyricists that are working in the industry right now. There’s a reason why, when I’m at work, you’re more likely to find me listening to Songza’s “Queens of Rap” playlist than “Classical for Studying”.
Setting all that aside, there are, undeniably, some pretty eye roll-worthy rap lyrics out there. Granted, that doesn’t keep them from being some of my favourite things to belt out at parties/silently mouth along to while riding the TTC.
I don’t know how I did it, but I’ve managed to narrow it down just 10 rap lyrics that somehow make me want to say “Seriously?” and “YAAAAS” at the same time. (I’m saving the “Most Genius, Iconic Rap Lyrics of All Time” post for another day. Sorry Kanye.)
- “I’m hot cuz I’m fly. You ain’t cuz you not.” ?MIMS, “This Is Why I’m Hot”
- “Big fat pussy; Mufasa.” ?Nicki Minaj, “Freaks”
- “Even Gwen Stefani said she couldn’t doubt me.” ?Lil Wayne, “A Milli” (Gwen Stefani? No Doubt? Get it?)
- “Make that ass shake…Roll my weed on it, that’s an ass tray.” ?Big Sean, “Mercy”
- “Yabba-dabba-doo, make her bed rock.” ?Pitbull, “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love”
- “Honey got some boobies like wow oh wow.” ?Usher, “OMG”
- “I don’t mess with them chickens unless their last name is cutlet.” ?Nicki Minaj, “Only”
- “Now watch me get deeper than a Navy Seal.” ?Busta Rhymes, “Light Your Ass On Fire”
- “I stroke so good like Tiger Woods and I ROAR like a tiger would.” ?Ludacris, “Buck In Here”
- “Bikinis, zucchinis, martinis, no weenies.” ?Snoop Dogg, “California Gurls”
Image via Studio 43